Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Day Eight: Frosted Sugar Cookies

It's not Christmas without frosted sugar cookies, right?  This year, I googled a recipe that was a roll-out cookie dough recipe that used Cream of Tartar.  My grandmother's cookie recipe is the best, but it's a drop sugar cookie recipe and I always end up adding all of this extra flour, so I decided to try a new recipe this year.  I also decided to make my "signature" butter cream instead of royal icing or any other type of frosting.

 Another recipe that calls for powdered sugar instead of granulated.
 Gotta soften that butter up!
 Mix the dry ingredients first, set aside.
 Other "stuff."
 Flour up that baking mat.
  I actually had to add a lot of flour to this recipe in order to get it to roll out as well.
 Ready for the oven!
 So yummy all baked and fresh!  My friend Beckie recently reminded me that our first Christmas in NC we made sugar cookies like these and kept wondering if they were done since they don't really get browned!  So funny.
 Cooling and ready for the frosting.
 I could go all "Martha" on these, but some things are just left classic.  I think I made them cute, but not over-the-top!  I used a lot of my cupcake decor on these cookies.






 And a Michigan State stocking, too!
Merry Christmas!!!

By the way - Steve said that these cookies were his favorite sugar cookies ever!

3 comments:

  1. i am not a sugar cookie person at all, but i LOVE yours and went back for seconds!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, seeing these pictures makes me really sad we weren't able to do our sugar cookies this year - for probably the first time my whole life! These look beautiful and delicious; great work Jenna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ashley! They are pretty good!! Rhiannon - that makes me sad about your cookies this year - just didn't have the time? I always think about you when I make them - maybe one year I made them with your family? In DeWitt maybe? I don't know why I have that memory.

    ReplyDelete