Friday, June 24, 2011

Wilton Cake Class

One of the first lessons in the cake world that I learned was "Wilton Sucks."  However, since I am a sponge who wants to soak up as much cake knowledge as possible, and I had a friend willing to attend with me, I signed up for the Wilton beginner class at Micheal's.  It was pretty cheap and spanned 4 weeks (Tuesday nights) and was close to work, so it seemed simple enough.

The first class was pretty disappointing.  The instructor was late, she spent a long time talking about herself, looking at the spoiled icing that everyone but me had purchased, and didn't really do anything productive.  This is how terrible my 6 cookies turned out:

Lucky for me I already have *some* experience - but she didn't even teach us how to color the frosting or anything.

The second day we had to bring a cake.  Of course I broke one of the layers of cake, and I was all stressed.  We also had to make the Wilton frosting and I was NOT wanting to do that, with all of it's shortening and artificial flavors, but I went ahead and made it.  The class was a bit better.  Dawn and I were pretty late but we sort of just took it upon ourselves to color our frosting and go ahead with our cakes.  I even ran out and bought some sprinkles, to make the cake super cute.  I copied it directly from the picture in the instruction manual.



The third night we were instructed to bring cupcakes, and that we only needed 6 each, and that we were going to fill them so to bring some kind of filling.  Since Dawn made the cookies for the first week, and let me have 6 of them, I made the cupcakes for the 3rd night.  I found a recipe for jumbo cupcakes that made 12 which was perfect, 6 for her and 6 for me.  Again, I just sort of started going during the class since the instructor was so distracted and not very organized.  Here is what I came up with for my cupcakes:


For the last class, she told us we didn't even need to bring anything if we don't want to, so I decided to skip it.  I would spend the time practicing roses and flowers and other techniques:



Overall, I did learn a lot from this class, even if I did spend a lot of money on all of the supplies and even if the instructor was very unorganized.  I wish I could remember everything I learned!  LOL.  Luckily I still have the instruction manual so I can just pull that out for any reminders I might need!

1 comment:

  1. this sounds 1,001x better than the chef gagliardi disaster!! LOL. love your frosting designs, you don't need no wilton :)

    ReplyDelete