Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Teacher Appreciation

For my day job, I decided to make cupcakes for a Teacher Appreciation Reception that we were hosting.  I wanted to stick with a tried-and-true recipe, but wanted to mix up the frosting a little bit.  So I stuck with the Devil's Food cupcake, and tried a new whipped buttercream frosting recipe. 

First, you have to mix hot water and cocoa.  I always use the special dark cocoa because I think it brings forward the most flavor.


Then, I mixed the dry ingredients.
Then some melted butter!!!  Always tasty. . .
The eggs, vanilla and secret ingredient that adds oh-so-much moisture!
What a beautiful mix:
I'm still hating those Wilton liners (but using them up):
For the decor, I purchased some pre-colored fondant.  It actually ended up being a HUGE hit - folks actually liked the taste of it!  (It's from the Ace of Cakes guy at Michaels.  I had a coupon. Wow am I glad!)
By the time I made the frosting, it turned out terribly.  Oh well.  It tasted okay but I hated the texture. 
A good friend told me to take photos of food without a flash.  Hmmmmm. . .
Here they are, all decorated and pretty!


Speaking of Ace-of-Cakes, someone saw these, asked me if I made them, and when I responded, her eyes got very big and she told me, "Wow - they look just like Ace of Cake!"

I don't even watch that show, but I am flattered.

:)

2 comments:

  1. they turned out so cute! are the cutters ikea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, they are wilton from Michaels - I wanted them to be more like hawaiian flowers, but I had to settle for this. Oh well, something different!

    ReplyDelete